Stewarts Office Plants

We supply many businesses across the South, from Sussex and Surrey, through Hampshire and Dorset to Wiltshire and Somerset. For more information about the services we offer visit our home page, or contact us here. In this blog you'll find news, interesting snippets, stories and pictures of our staff's adventures out on the road.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Fake chimney!


As previous posts have remarked, I'm so on top of my workload that I've resorted to filing the last year's worth of photos of installations. As I remarked on here some time ago, we photo most of the new installations we do, then label the pictures to include the name of the plant and pot and also the pots colour, so we have a huge library of images we can call up to show to potential clients.

A lot of these are on our website here.

Anyway, I digress. Occasionally I see other things I photo, and have nowhere else to file them than on here. Last winter we were installing a couple of dozen planters in a new care home, part of a chain in Dorset that we look after. Part of the building was crowned by this magnificent chimney. What struck me as odd was there wasn't a fireplace in the room below, or a chimney breast for that matter. So how was this big heavy chimney supported?

Answer: it's a fake, made of glass fibre! Because I reduce the resolution of images I put on this blog, you can't really see, but the bricks are just a printed picture thereof, and I think you can just see a support wire behind leading to the roof. Amazingly realistic.

Is there any connection between this and what we do? I guess it shows the versatility of GRP, the same material that the majority of our pots are made of. Now that's given me an idea: fake chimney pots as office planters!

Until that happens we'll stick to planters that look like planters. To the left is one of the ones that went in this care home. Matt light bronze is the chain's corporate pot colour; it looks just right in the very homely atmosphere that they strive to create in their premises. It's also one of our most popular colour choices at the moment.

Jonathan