Stewarts Office Plants

We supply many businesses across the South, from Sussex and Surrey, through Hampshire and Dorset to Wiltshire and Somerset. For more information about the services we offer visit our home page, or contact us here. In this blog you'll find news, interesting snippets, stories and pictures of our staff's adventures out on the road.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Everyone has a plant they can't care for

As the man who's meant to tell the rest of the staff how to do their job, I'm meant to have some kind of interior plant infallibility.

I've learned, though, that everyone has a blind spot when it comes to looking after indoor plants.

Even the most experienced technicians (and we've got plenty of them) have one plant they just don't get on with.

15 years ago, when I first started working with office plants, I soon realised mine was the Fatsia Japonica, or Japanese Aralia. I was reminded of this by the presence of a gang of them we ordered in for an event hire in Bournemouth (the sequel to this one).

When I keep them dry, they rapidly sag. So I water them and they get over used to it and then sag. In fairness this is based on my experience years ago, as I have avoided using them in any of my own maintenance contracts ever since I've worked at Stewarts. My staff seem to get on with them fine!

Perhaps it's time I gave them a try again. They do have a very special use as they are equally happy indoors and outdoors in the UK, and don't need a lot of light. So they are the perfect plant for a cold, dark foyer of an office building, or other similar unheated spaces - not many other plants can fulfil this role.

Jonathan